Friday, February 1, 2013

Day 27: Issues?


Luke 20:27-47; Genesis 37; Psalm 27


God is Lord of the living, not the dead.  That means that this life and the next one are connected, that people’s eternity starts now, and that there is much to be looked forward to after we die.  That is so cool and so weird and so hard to imagine.  I'm not going to pretend I get it.

Jesus turned the tables on religion and what was/is expected.  The religious leaders who were proud of their religion and status are the ones who Jesus said would be punished, those who judge others and think highly of themselves will be brought low by God's hand.  Humility is such an important characteristic—something I struggle with.  I always thought I was humble, but then I sort of think that I'm "so humble" and try to use it as a crutch or like the Pharisees would, to show how they are better.  That's definitely not what I want to do.  But at the same time, my husband believes that I actually am a humble person and that it has sometimes morphed into a self-confidence issue.

Either way, I know I have issues.

 I need real humility, authenticity, transparency.  I cannot be all about myself and I need to want to make a difference, not to lift myself up.  Instead, my goal is to lift God up.  If I continue to be racked with selfishness or pride or whatever issue is in my heart, then God is not the center of my existence like I had hoped or thought and I am still at the center.  Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but somehow, I doubt that.

May the Lord teach us how to humble ourselves while still praising him for how he has created us.  I’m not sure how that happens or what that looks like, but I know that God will reveal that in time.  Joseph learns the hard way not to elevate oneself, but to thank God for the gifts he gives.

No comments:

Post a Comment