Saturday, February 16, 2013

Day 40: Dealing with Discouragement


Hebrews 8; Exodus 5:1-6:27; Proverbs 1


The Israelites were too discouraged to believe the promises of God.  Boy, does that sound familiar. The Lord proves himself with fire and manna because it was a different time and a different place.  God doesn’t work the same way anymore—with large displays of his greatness coming down from heaven.  Moses doubted God's call for him, so he sent Aaron with him to make it happen.  The Lord sent them anyway, knowing that they would doubt, and God would have to step in and make it happen.

Sometimes I doubt my own purpose and worth and potential for growth.  In those times, I really need God to clearly speak and send me to the place where he wants me to be.  I need God's help because I get in my own way.  I am trying very hard to fervently listen to God's wisdom.  Sometimes, after I have failed miserably, I feel like to shout: "God, be patient!  I know I can do it! I am ready to try again, Lord!  Teach me!  I am here!" We may feel like we are stuck in the mire, the pit, and only God's grace and wisdom can pull us out. Well, it is probably true.  Only God's grace and wisdom CAN get us out and truly rescue us.

(It's Saturday, so here's a two-for-one deal.  I hope it blesses you today!)


Hebrews 9:1-22; Exodus 6:28-8:32; Proverbs 2


There are some really key points in this Hebrews chapter.  First, the rules about physical things will eventually pass away.  The physical world is temporary.  Second, Jesus freed me from sin forever.  His sacrifice covers all my sins and all of the world’s sins.  And finally, my God is living and I am free to worship and serve him and live in a way that does not lead to death.  I am free.  WE are FREE.  Cool.

I was confused as to why the Egyptian magicians would be able to do similar tricks as Moses and Aaron.  There is a good possibility that it was just trickery and sleight of hand, or they had tapped into some evil power to perform similar miracles.  Either way, once the Nile was blood, they could not make it more bloody, so they were constrained to limited miracles.  It is scary to think that the same Satan that might have helped them do evil stuff still roams this earth helping people do more evil.  May the Holy Spirit protect people!

The Egyptian king, the one saw all these miracles and wonders, was so stubborn.  Even after seeing the signs he refused to believe.  How much more of a struggle will it be for stubborn people today who do not see huge signs and miracles?  They have the Word of God and the example of imperfect Christians.  The Word, they have to pick up themselves and Christians today are often a poor example of Christ.  I pray that everywhere, God would break down barriers for non-believers to get to experience Christ.  I hope that the Lord's goodness is greater than our failures so that people might see Jesus everywhere.  I pray that God's word would strike people to their core and change their lives forever.  I know it is possible that The Lord's kingdom can spread further and more deeply than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment