Saturday, February 2, 2013

Day 28: Give It Up and Just Move


Luke 21; Genesis 38; Psalm 29


The widow gave all she had to God, and I hope that we can have that same kind of abandon with our attitude, wallet, possessions, time, and life.  Jesus talks about how the beautiful stones that were used to build the temple will be destroyed.  Life is not about the material wealth or accumulation that we can gain here on earth because it will not last.  The beauty of a house and its’ niceties are not important.  That was really hard for me to believe a few months ago and I know it was a stumbling block.  I prayed a few months ago that God would help me to not focus on the house size, fanciness, or amenities, but the space in which people can come and enjoy their time.  As I look back on my blogs, I realize that the very situation that Austin and I find ourselves in is EXACTLY what we prayed for.  I was obsessing over the details of our house, being able to afford stuff, online shopping like it was going out of style.  We are moving.  Downsizing.  Reducing the square-footage.  I prayed that God would help my heart to have its priorities right--so God put it on our heart to m-o-o-o-v-e.  I realized that the size of the house or how fancy it was does not make it a home or a place where people can be loved on and hear the message of Jesus.  People can do that in a shack.  So, Austin and I are following God's direction and have sold our nice big house and are moving to one almost half the size.  Why?  Because I want God first--first in my life, my marriage, my finances, my friendships.  That's all there is to it.

Jesus says, “You will soon be set free.” We are all trapped by something and Jesus wants to come and  release us from our sin and pain and human limitations. 

The Lord gives hope to believers that even in times of great suffering and trials, betrayal and pain, he is here with us.  Believers in Christ need not worry, but have hope because Jesus is with us (HE IS WITH US) and we will someday live with him in eternity.  That's the best thing we get from our Savior, but we don’t even deserve that.  May our hearts and lives be transformed so that we do not covet material things, so that we do not worry about status or popularity here on earth, or seek recognition for ourselves.  I thank God for revealing this to me and I pray that He would do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment