Friday, May 31, 2013

Day 125: Following God's Way


Acts 27:1-12; 1 Samuel 2:12-36; Psalm 50

The wind was a problem for these sailors.  It wasn't necessarily something out of the ordinary, but I think that because it was recorded, that we are to believe that part of it was God's involvement in the plan of these men.  Should the sailors have listened to Paul and not to their captain?  Well, looking back (and knowing the story), the answer is clear.  The captain was the expert sailor.  However, Paul was a man who was in tune with The Lord, he had wisdom, and his contribution was valuable.  Are there "experts" that I'm listening to that perhaps are really not providing the wisest advice?  Are there men and women of The Lord that have great wisdom even if they are not "experts" in the field that I should be listening to? I pray that God would give all of us discernment in who to listen to.

This story from 1 Samuel just reminds me that church leaders and their families are humans, too.  However, I'm curious why Eli's sons had become the way they were.  Was it because he neglected them, didn't teach them boundaries, did not show them how to respect The Lord?  There could be a lot of reasons.  The way he treats Hannah in chapter 1 sort of makes me think that he jumped to conclusions too quickly, he was judgmental, he did not have much compassion, or his words were not edifying.  These could have influenced the disrespect that his son's acquired.  When The Lord speaks to Eli, he tells Eli that he honors his sons above The Lord.  Apparently, Eli was more focused on his family than he was on honoring and giving glory to God.  When we place God first in our lives, we can be a better spouse, parent, friend, sibling, employee, boss, etc.  With God in control and God as our focus, we are more wise.

Psalm 50 is partially God talking to his people.  He says that the only sacrifice is that he wants is for us to be thankful and to keep our word.  What does that mean exactly?  I think part of it is that he wants our thanks and praise.  He is a relational God; no, he doesn't need us, but he wants to be close to us.  So, first, he wants our praise.  God just wants us to pay him the attention and honor that, really, he deserves. Secondly, he wants us to keep our promises.  If we confess our sins, say we are going to live according to his word, then we simply need to do that.  Is that easy?  No, but when we give our lives to Christ, we say that we what Jesus to be The Lord of our lives...that is a promise.  God wants to remain The Lord of our lives, not because he wants to be some dictator, but because the God of the universe might know a thing or two (the ultimate understatement) about living a good life.

Then God goes on to say to the wicked people that they have no right to talk about God or the "relationship" they have with God.  Who are the wicked?  People that refuse God's guidance in their lives; people like crooks and those who break marriage vows; people who like violence and lies and gossiping.  You know what stinks?  I think there are a lot of us that are guilty of some of this stuff.  That's rough.  I know that when I look at this list, I see myself, and I wonder, "how could God still love me?" Well, that brings us back to the first part of this psalm:  God wants a thankful heart and someone who puts him as Lord of their life.  I know that I'm definitely thankful--not thankful enough, but I'm working on having an attitude of praise.  I also know that I'm definitely working on keeping God as Lord of my life--I'm not perfect, but I'm working on it.  And finally, I praise The Lord for Jesus and for his death and resurrection that made sure that I could be acceptable to God the Father.  That's good stuff.  That is stuff to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment