Monday, May 6, 2013

Day 103: The Angel Doesn't Stay Forever

Acts 12; Joshua 15-17;Job 28

God answers prayer. The people prayed constantly and God did the miraculous. How awesome must it have been for Peter to be trapped in a dark dungeon, see and angel, and walk out past the guards. It was so incredible that he didn't even believe it was real at first, until the angle left him. He didn't believe until the angel left him. Hm... Had the angel not come, Peter might have escaped in another way or perhaps The Lord would have orchestrated something else that set him free. But God sent in a powerful messenger, an amazing creature for a short time to help Peter out of a dark and deep situation. Then, when Peter was free from the things that bound him (not necessarily free from danger, mind you), the messenger of The Lord left him. He was then on his own to move forward or fall down in fear. Peter experienced a momentary glory of The Lord. It was a short time that he was close to the spirit of The Lord and had such an amazing experience, he believed it could not be real. Then, just as that moment was coming to a climax, he was left alone.

When I think about this story, it reminds me of my walk with The Lord. There will be times in my life when I feel God's presence very powerfully in my life. I feel as though I am walking with him and he is rescuing me from the dark places of my life. It is awesome to experience the freedom and forward movement in those times. But, the angel didn't stay with Peter forever--nor do those moment of incredible emotional or spiritual highs last. God watches over us always, but he doesn't lead us with an angel or with incredible obviousness all the time. Sometimes, I feel alone on this spiritual journey and have to decide if I am going to fall over right there and cry, or recognize where I am and keep moving forward.

I looked up the Jebusites, hoping to find some information on who they were and why they were there. Apparently, they lived in Jerusalem before it was Jerusalem. The Israelites were supposed to destroy them and eliminate them from the promised land--but didn't. I'm not sure why, and most of the sources I visited said that there is very little information on them. It is the same thing with the Caananites. So...perhaps they were groups that Israel was supposed to destroy, but decided not to for whatever reason: their daughters were hot, they were sly, they seemed like good neighbors, they Israelites were not following God's orders and so could not get rid of them, etc...I wonder what sort of problem that will pose in the future. But I do know that disobedience to God DOES cause problems.

How often do I pray for wisdom? Probably not enough. Job reminds us that wisdom cannot be sought out in the depths of the earth, in the riches of the world, in any place besides respect for The Lord. People seek wisdom in lots of places, but according to Job, none of that is real wisdom. The only place where wisdom can be found is in The Lord.

Lord, make us wise so that we may see you more, but if nothing else, grant us hearts that are obedient.

No comments:

Post a Comment