Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 110: Poor Mister Gideon


Acts 17:1-15; Judges 6; Job 36

The ways that people tear down Jesus Christ and his followers should not surprise us.  During Paul's time, Pharisees got some bums on the street to riot, they pulled people from their homes, they demanded money, they made up lies...it was brutal.  These Pharisees followed the apostles from town to town, like mini tornadoes, causing destruction in their wake.  How frustrating it must have been for Paul and Silas!  What did they do?  Well, in these passages, they simply keep moving forward, focused on their mission and sold out for their purpose.  They didn't delay their trip so they could turn around and fight back or hurl "holy insults." Maybe there was a time that that would be the case, but in these few verses, Paul and Silas just stay focused on where they are and the message they are preaching.

I know that when I face opposition to Jesus, I sometimes want to stop, recover, hide, send someone else, and then maybe crawl out of my hole in the ground.  But that's not what followers of Christ are supposed to do.  Christ did not back down against the mockery and pain.  The apostles didn't delay because of the riots and threats.  Twenty-first century Christians, I believe, can and should stay focused on the message and the mission, not on giving attention to those who which to destroy and delay the gospel.

The story of Gideon being chosen sort of makes me laugh.  Here is Gideon working in his fields, and angel shows up, and Gideon complains about God.  God then, seeing that he's the topic of conversation, steps in and tells Gideon he is going to be awesome.  But Gideon isn't so sure.  Then he realizes he is having a conversation with someone he can't see, so he tells God, hang on, let me check.  Once the sacrifice has gone up in smoke, Gideon realizes, "Oh crap, that WAS God.  I'm toast."  Just the exchange between Gideon and God is so real.  There isn't some holy conversation or 6 syllable words and a prayer offered.  Gideon is just telling God how he feels as God is telling him the plan for his life, and then he realizes that God is way more powerful that he had given him credit for.
But, Gideon probably had a point:  who am I to do great and marvelous things?  I've thought the same thing before.  I'm just me, 5'2", 20-something, who lives in a small town, with just a little money, can sorta write, sorta sing, sorta teach, and I'm slightly shy.  What great stuff could I accomplish?  Well, if truth be told, nothing--unless The Lord Almighty is in it.

Gideon is the wimpiest person this side of the New Testament.  All he does is hide, run from public notice, question God's plans...wait a second, that's me!  At one point or another, I think all of us have questioned God's path for our life.  We ask, "God, are you sure that's where you want me to go?" or "I know that is where you have lead me, but just give me one more sign so that I can be sure" or "Instead of standing up in front of everyone, can I do it when no one is looking?" AND YET, despite all of Gideon's fears and objections, God does great things through Gideon.  If God can use Gideon, then he can use you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment