Monday, May 20, 2013

Day 115: Can You Catch a Sea Monster?


Acts 20:1-16; Judges 13; Job 41

Samson had a calling on his life:  God had chosen him to be born and belong to him because he had a job for Samson to do.  First, I think it is interesting how God told Manoah and his wife the news, and they were to begin the work that God had for Samson.  Then, it is also interesting that the angel told them that Samson would "begin" the work to set Israel free.  Was he not going to see it through to completion?  I think it is true that God chooses people to fulfill certain roles in his kingdom.  How do we know what those are?  We listen to the Holy Spirit whispering in our heart.  Sometimes there is not even an audible voice, but simply a feeling or a decision. I also think that sometimes God calls us to do something, like start a ministry, help a family, create a project, that we will never get to finish.  That can be frustrating.  If I start something, I intend to finish it.  But that was not what God had in store for Samson.  He says that he will "begin" it, not finish it.  Each of us has a role to play in God's kingdom.  Some of us are starters, seed planters, door openers; others of us are the middle people, the waterers, the carry-it-through; and still others are the finishers, harvesters, completers.  I used to think that because I wasn't a finisher I wasn't as valuable; but I have realized that my role is often to plant a seed, give someone a nudge to get going, help them at the beginning of their journey.  I may never know what they end up doing, but I simply have to do my job to be there at the beginning.  What is your place?  Are you satisfied there or are you trying to do more than God intended you to do?

The title in my bible of this chapter of Job is "Can You Catch a Sea Monster?" I'm really feeling a children's book coming out of that one!  I have no idea what monster God is referring to.  First I was thinking Nessy, the Loch Ness; then I was thinking a dragon; but then I thought, what about an alligator?  However, whatever it is and whomever decides to turn it into a children's book, the point is that God is above and more powerful than even this terrifying creature--don't mess around with either.  The big question that comes out of Job for me is "who am I to challenge The Lord?"  God is so much more powerful and has wisdom beyond our comprehension that to question him or second-guess him is ridiculous.  He knows and can do anything and what he decides is best.  Even if that means sending the sea monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment