Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 105: I, You, Take, Everywhere


Acts 13:26-52; Joshua 20-21; Job 30

What an awesome example of the boldness of Christ's disciples.  Paul and Barnabus shared the saving message of Jesus and the people were hungry for more.  These people, many who were religious, felt the need for something more, truth that was Truth, because the rest of their lives had been incomplete.  They were left parched by their ways and the message of Jesus was like ever-filling water. However, it is not difficult to predict that where there is good, there is also an invasion of evil.  The Pharisees were jealous.  One striking difference between the followers of Christ and these pious men was their concern for others.  Jealousy is evidence that there is concern only for the self.  Jesus' apostles were willing to risk themselves for the sake of their message, which is the opposite of selfishness.  If we are going to be witnesses of Christ and true disciples of him, we need to adopt that selfless attitude.  It isn't all about us.  (Speaking of that, if you get the chance to read the book It's Not About Me by Max Lucado, I would TOTALLY recommend it.  I've got it if you want to borrow it!)

The other thing that I find totally awesome about this story is the message that Paul reveals from God: "I have placed you here as a light for the Gentiles.  You are to take the saving power of God to the people everywhere on earth."  So why are we stuck in our churches?  What about that says have good church programs?  Why am I sometimes afraid to speak about my faith to those who don't have it?
A few words stand out to me:  I...You...take...everywhere.  God is the beginning of it all.  The Lord is the one who thought us up, made us, sent us, blessed us, protected us, loved us, saved us.  It all begins at The Lord's heart.  It comes from his hands and will return to his hands!  Hallelujah! Second, the sending mechanism is us.  God didn't send angels, unicorns, or talking wombats.  We, us, humans, you and me, we are the agents by which his message and love is sent. It doesn't say "You are to stay" or "You are to plan" or "You are to sit."  The verse says "You are to take." Ugh.  That means work. I have to pick it up and go, move, share, give.  It is much easier to sit, plan, think, feel, talk.  Doing--there's the challenge.  But why is it so hard?  Isn't it because it risks something of myself?  I am setting myself up for criticism, judgment, ridicule, rejection.  Not pleasant.  I'd prefer to avoid such things because, well, they hurt. I try to tell myself over and over that none of that matters because someday I'll get to live in glorious splendor with The Lord Jesus Christ!  Yeah, but I get in the way of myself.  Take, go, share, give.  Got it. Then finally, where am I suppose to take this light?  Everywhere.  That's a lot of places.  If I start now, I'd probably only make it to Kentucky by the time I die.  Maybe as far as Ohio, but let's not push it.  :-)  So how does a person take something to everywhere?  If they have a team of course.  If each believer sought to share the light of Christ with the people just in their neighborhood, imagine how far we would get!  But the problem is that there are a lot of people like me, who are afraid to do the "taking" and so the neighborhoods around us don't get that light.  They continue in unnecessary darkness.

God, I know it starts with you and I thank you and praise you that you trust me to do the taking.  May we be bold about your message and work to take your message as far as we can.

I think it is interesting that the Israelites set up Safe Towns.  It makes me wonder if we have a concept like that today.  Are our churches safe places where people can run from judgement or persecution?  I know that some people have run from some churches because of the lack of protection it offered.  Hm.  Interesting.

At the end of chapter 21 of Joshua, it says that The Lord gave the Israelites the land, BUT there were still enemies and they had to go to war from time to time.  This is a perfect picture of life. God may bless us with peace in our lives, loving families, a solid job.  But, he doesn't guarantee that we won't have trials, hardships, battles.  However, he didn't leave the Israelites out to dry, and he won't leave us either.  That is such a reassuring thought.  As I sit here, I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed with all the stuff I have to do. My heart is racing and if didn't think it would freak out my dogs, I might just jump up and down and scream a little.  Life is hard sometimes.  God had given the Israelites the promised land, but they still had conflict and struggles.  Ok God, lead me through.

Job had it rough.  This particular chapter seems incredibly relevant.  When people insult and ridicule for my faith, I feel like I've been thrown in the dirt.  Then, I feel like I am dirt.  I may try to help others and that is great, but often I feel like dirt because no one is there to help.  If you feel like dirt, recognize that there is more to this story.  Please know in your heart that you are loved by God and in his sight you are more precious than the most beautiful stones on earth.  People treat people like dirt sometimes, but God loves you more than gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment