Friday, May 10, 2013

Day 107: Extra Stuff


Acts 15:1-21; Joshua 23-24; Job 32

There were people who thought there should be extra rules for new believers of Jesus.  The people from Judea and the Pharisees thought that in order for "those people" to be saved, they should have to do more or sacrifice more.  They wanted there to be rituals, rites, processes, programs to make people saved.  That kind of reminds me of the church today:  this one says you have to be baptised now, another says then; this one feels this way about communion, another believes that; this one feels this way about music and dancing, that one says something else.  I guess I understand why the church has different forms of worship or service, and I'm sure it isn't a big deal, but isn't the whole point that Jesus saves us through faith?  There isn't anything you can do to earn it or make yourself MORE holy.  Trust me, I've tried.  I have this problem:  I'm a perfectionist and am very hard on myself.  Faith and grace are perfect for countering that.  I know I am saved because I put my trust in Jesus long ago, and that no matter how many holy things I do or how many times I mess up, I'm just as loved today as I was then and will be when I die.  That takes the perfectionism and throws it right out the window.  That's what Paul and Peter were saying in this passage:  you don't have to do anything extra to be saved, faith is all it takes because Jesus' grace is big enough.

So contrast this with what Joshua says:  "Be sure that you carefully obey EVERYTHING written in The Book of the Law of Moses and do exactly what it says."  Last time I checked, that was a big book.  Without the salvation extended by Jesus, people are left trying to do things to earn their favor with God. That would be an exhausting and hopeless existence; living each day thinking that you are not enough to get close to your maker.

The people of Israel were being called to worship The Lord and only him.  Joshua reminded them of all God had done for them and that they could serve no one or nothing else.  I think one of my idols is success, or recognition, or perfection.  It is that belief that I've got it goin' on.  I need to kill that idol and humbly worship The Lord.  I hope and pray that you choose to overcome the idols in your life, whether living, materialistic, or internal.

No comments:

Post a Comment