Saturday, January 25, 2014

Day 327: Spouses

Ephesians 5:21-33; Ezekiel 16; Isaiah 45

I love what Ephesians says about husbands and wives. In particular, I pay attention to the verses directed at us betrothed women: we are to put our husbands first, just like we put God first. One could say that this is a conflict; you can't have two number ones. I used to think this way about best friends: I couldn't have more than one, otherwise it isn't a "best" friend. But I think this actually does work. We love Christ will all of our hearts, having given up everything for him, leaning on him for hope and salvation. We sacrifice for The Lord and we worship him. All of this is the exact same for our husbands--except the worship. We worship WITH our husbands, not TO or AT them. I've always felt that I need to make sure that of my earthly relationships, my husband is the most important. That's why I should cancel other plans to be with him, go out of my way to support him, spend time reading about marriage, etc. If I can't love and cherish my husband, the man I share life with most intimately, I have no business loving on others. Neglected marriages are dangerous and I plan on never abandoning mine.

This chapter in Ezekiel is disturbing. Jerusalem was an abandoned, dirty child that God cleaned up and cared for. He provided riches and goodness and showed compassion when no one else would. Then Jerusalem abandons God, its caretaker for a life of disgusting prostitution and murder. God's people are completely unfaithful. Because God is a jealous and just God, he punishes for sin and to turn from the one who rescued them is the worst sin of all. I pray that God's church is a faithful one. That we do not trade our redemption for sin.

Just like a clay pot doesn't ask the potter why it was made that way, neither do we have the right to demand of God reasons why we are the way we are. It is the potter's choice to mold and shape the clay how he wants, fashioning it for a specific purpose. God does the same with us. I feel blessed just to have God's hands on my heart and life, molding and shaping me. This is such a cool image in Isaiah.

No comments:

Post a Comment