Friday, January 17, 2014

Day 320: Our Job

Galatians 6; Ezekiel 2-3; Psalm 149

I can't help when I read this last chapter of Galatians, but to think of how it isn't about me. It talks about helping others out of sin; not thinking of myself as better than I am; doing my work well and not comparing; sharing everything; bragging only about Jesus. Life as a follower of Jesus is really about two things: Jesus and others. I don't think this is to say that we should ignore our own wellbeing--it's good to take care of our physical bodies, and especially important to take care of our spiritual self. However, when I walk into church, into my job, out in public, I shouldn't be thinking about how I can best be served or be noticed or get some attention; I should be thinking about how I can demonstrate the love of Jesus by serving others.

Who does God send Ezekiel to? His own people, the Israelites. And what is interesting about this? They won't listen. God tells Ezekiel that if he were sending him to foreigners, the message would be heard and heeded; but God's own people would reject the message and continue to sin. That' would not be encouraging if you were Ezekiel. It's like, "here's your mission--you're going to fail--but do it anyway." However, God tells Ezekiel that it is his responsibility to share the message or he will be punished. It isn't his job to change them, only to share what God placed on his heart to tell them. The same is true for us. Sometimes it is hardest to share the message of Jesus with those closest to us. Sometimes we know we are going to fail. But it isn't our job to change them; it is our job to be bold enough to obey God. God will do the rest.

In this psalm, it says that God gives victory to the humble. This sounds very much like the passage from Galatians. Humility is an attitude that is tough to have, but it was a powerful part of who Jesus, the Son of God, is. It should be a significant part of who we are as well. If we are humble, then God feels like he can work in our lives, knowing that he will get the glory as he deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment