Friday, January 10, 2014

Day 314: True Pastureland

Galatians 2; Jeremiah 49-50; Psalm 143

This passage in Galatians focuses on the freedom Christ gives us. There were spies that had snuck into the group and were attempting to make them slaves. I don't know if he means literal, working slaves, or if he meant slaves to something, like rules and law, etc. Nonetheless, Paul goes on to talk about how Peter was all worried about who he was eating with, something that God's Law probably talked about. But Paul makes the point that the old Law doesn't rule us anymore because Christ came to set us free. I think it is ok to be mindful of the Old Testament scriptures and the stories that tell about obedience and disobedience. I think the Laws that are outlined there as well are meant to help and be good, but we don't have to follow them because Christ is the only way we are made acceptable to God, not anything we do.

These verses talk about what we were made for and what happens if we ignore our divine purpose: "My people, you are lost sheep abandoned by their shepherds in the mountains. You don't even remember your resting place. I am your true pastureland, the one who gave hope to your ancestors. But you abandoned me, so when your enemies found you, they felt no guilt as they gobbled you down." God is our "true pastureland," our peace, our resting place, our safety. When we turn away, we lose our shepherd and get eaten by our enemies--could be people, sins, addictions. May we remember who our Shepherd is and stick close to his side.

Beautiful words in this psalm. I'll let them speak for themselves: "Then I lift my hands in prayer, because my soul is a desert, thirsty for water from you...Each morning let me learn more about your love because I trust you. I come to you in prayer, asking for your guidance...You are my God. Show me what you want me to do, and let your gentle Spirit lead me in the right path."

No comments:

Post a Comment