Thursday, January 16, 2014

Day 319: Guided By the Spirit

Galatians 5:16-26; Ezekiel 1; Psalm 148

I've always wondered why I would do stuff I know I shouldn't do. Why I could pray and pray over a sin in my life, seek to change, and would still fall back into it. Paul answers that question here: "If we are guided by the Spirit, you won't obey your selfish desires." I was not guided by the Spirit. I was not close to God, or following Jesus' example, or surrendered to The Lord. I have noticed that the more I read God's word, the more I immerse myself in the scriptures, and be surrendered to Jesus, the more I can live by the fruits of the spirit. I am more loving, happy, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle, and self-controlled. Though I am far from perfect, I have been transformed by God's spirit, and I pray that same for you.

In this psalm, it says "Let all things praise the name of The Lord because they were created at his command. He made them to last forever and nothing can change what he has done." First, in this verse, I see that everything was made by The Lord. He commanded and it was made; that includes you and me. Secondly, it says that he made everything to last forever. You and I were made for eternity. Life doesn't really end when we die, we continue for all eternity. If that's the case, shouldn't we live differently? Shouldn't we live as if life isn't short, but actually very, very long? I should recognize that when I die, I can't take everything with me, so I should do and work towards establishing things that will last forever, like the fruit of the spirit, like meaningful relationships, like devotion to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment