Friday, January 3, 2014

Day 309: Bossy

1 Peter 5; Jeremiah 39-40; Psalm 138

Peter talks about taking care of your flock, those who are under our care. He is primarily talking about church leaders, but I think this could also apply to people with family or young people under your care. In particular, he states: "Don't be bossy to those people who are in your care, but set an example for them." It's way easier to boss someone around than to demonstrate the kind of action you are looking for. As a teacher, it would be easy to holler at a kid for being disrespectful. It might shut them up for the time being. But what have I done? I've belittled them, and lost any respect they might have had for me. Instead, if I work to keep control of my words and actions and treat them with respect, when I have to reprimand, it may only take a look or a soft word to get them back on track. The same goes for children. I want to be the kind of mom that demonstrates the kinds of actions and attitudes that I want our child to emulate. Experienced moms would probably say that bossing kids around doesn't make for well-rounded, responsible, kind young people. So may we learn to do those things we expect others to do.

Judah is captured. The Babylonians leave behind a few people: the poorest. It is interesting what happens to them. They are given all the fields and vineyards to live off of and care for, thus providing them with income and ownership. They have more than they have probably ever had. They are given a ruler and know that they are safe from the Babylonians and therefore, can live in peace. They won't necessarily become wealthy, but after all of the disobedient and proud are dragged off, God provides for them, the humble. The scriptures also point out that the grape and fruit harvest was especially large that year. God didn't forget about them, in fact, he had promised that whoever was humble would not be carried off as prisoners, and he follows through on his promise. It is fascinating how God works and reveals his love.

This psalm is awesome! It begins by saying "With all my heart I praise you, Lord." Not with most, or some, or a portion. It is "with all" of our hearts that we should give God praise. Then David praises God for answering prayers: "When I asked for your help, you answered my prayer and gave me courage." Finally, just as was true in Jeremiah, he says that "Though you are above us all, you care for humble people." Our God is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment