Saturday, March 30, 2013

Day 72: Pharisees


Matthew 23:1-36; Numbers 22:41-23:26; Songs 3:6-5:1


The Pharisees didn’t get it.  They taught one thing but did another; they focused on the minute details of the law, but didn’t love.  They wanted to outwardly appear great, humble, religious, but in their hearts they did not resemble Jesus.  Soulfire is a perfect example of what the Pharisees would not have do:  serving dinner to anyone who walks through the door with no expectations or strings attached.  It is awesome to be able to give to people something that seems so simple and yet presented so much of who Christ is. And why were they held accountable for the actions of all their ancestors?  Because the fulfillment of everything their ancestors fought against was staring them in the face and they refused to see it.  There are moments when I can be the Pharisee:  when I judge, condemn, hold lofty expectations, try to seem better than the rest.  I pray that God would cure me of this, and help me to live humbly and do everything out of my love for Jesus.

Whether Songs is looked at literally or metaphorically, the truth is that the man, or God, knows his woman, or church intimately.  There are nothing hidden, nothing unknown, and nothing unappreciated.  God knows all my faults, sins, insecurities, and yet he loves me anyway. I pray that we would be everything that he created us to be; that we would pursue righteousness, goodness, gentleness, patience, peace, kindness, and love.  That we would love others as God has loved us.

No comments:

Post a Comment