Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Day 69: Young and Old


Matthew 21:28-46; Numbers 19-20; Ecclesiastes 11:9-12:14


It is interesting that the in the story about the older and younger sons provides such excellent parallels to people entering the kingdom.  What I think stands out the most to me is that the one son was able to change his mind and be obedient (and receive salvation).  It was a choice and just because he said “no,” didn’t mean he was done for, but instead, Christ shows that people can change their minds.  What is meant by “later” is unclear.  Would “later” in terms of reality of going to heaven or not mean before death or after?  That is a question theologians can wrestle with until they are blue in the face, but for me, it isn’t important.  What is important is that he ultimately was obedient to the call for his life and accepted it.

Solomon say that being young is exciting, with lots of opportunities.  However, if I choose to live my life for excitement and personal pleasure, then by the time I am old, I will have nothing to show for my time.  If I focus on God now, while I am young, then throughout my life I can have meaning and purpose.  I won’t have material possessions to show for it, necessarily, but those things don’t matter in eternity.  What I will have is the joy that comes with serving God.

No comments:

Post a Comment