Tuesday, January 16, 2018

God is Able: Perspective

Truly, perspective makes all the difference. Perspective can determine success, attitude, decisions, relationships--so many things ride on back of one's viewpoint.

This book reminds us that in life's uncertainties and challenges, where we place our attention and focus will determine how solid the footing feels. Priscilla meticulously walks us through Ephesians 3:20-21, "Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." And while she invites us to name our "It," the thorn in our flesh, we are to adjust our vantage point as we continue forward in our temporal existence.

The time is now. It's now we face our trials, but it's also in this moment that our God is with us. God has and does bridge the gap between us and Him, between our problems and His power.  

I think I need to make the first three words of this verse my mantra: "Now to Him." That's it. That's the perspective adjustment that I need daily to get me from frustrated to fulfilled, from baffled to feeling blessed. It's a turning. Now, to Him. In this moment, Jesus, You. I know this about myself: when I am focused on myself, my whole day gets derailed. I get tired that my kids made a mess of the living room (again); I feel irritated that I have to sweep up dog hair (again); My blood boils because something doesn't go the way I want it at school. Notice what those last statements start with? Me. And that's really what makes challenges seem so big, that's what makes the future seem so daunting, that what makes the world seem like the enemy. 

Priscilla calls out: "Quit staring at your problems!...They're often all we think about...And they'll take all our energy and attention if we let them." 

Therefore, let's take our eyes off the monsters and turn to God. Our God. God is all powerful, all knowing, Creator of galaxies, Author of Life. The roar of busyness dulls when focused on the sweet image of our Savior. Life isn't so scary when you have the ultimate Protector in our vision. Let's see our "difficulties through the lens of God's power and glory. Instead of turning to run [let's turn] into heroes" of our generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment