Thursday, January 11, 2018

Capital Gaines: Marriage

Marriage is a fascinating creature. Each has it's own personality beyond the two it joins together. Some are fiery, some peaceful, some rambunctious, some tumultuous, and a million other adjectives. Mine: STEADY. I'm an introverted, consistent home-body who is married to a gracious, compassionate, intelligent, and genuinely fabulous (and occasionally spontaneous) husband. We don't do audacious things, but approach life pretty thoughtfully, focusing on the few things we find valuable. Chip and Jo are self-confessed opposites, so her calculated and cautious approach and his go-get-'em spontaneity seem to balance one another out successfully. I guess you could say, their marriage is planned adventurousness. But in both our cases, it works for us.

Chip and Joanna are honest about what makes their marriage work. Respectful and loving. Regular date-nights.  And "slack in the rope to make mistakes." But probably most importantly, they let God lead them, both as individuals and as a couple:

"...we both walk in authority in the areas of our natural God-given strengths, and that seems to be what makes working together so seamless in our case. As we've learned to harness these opposing characteristics and shore up each other's weaknesses, we've managed to make this working-together thing look pretty easy." 

They trust each other's judgment. They know who they are. They support each other completely, because, "Who wouldn't want to spend all of their time with someone who loves them for who they are and believes the very best about them, who encourages them to fight for their dreams and is the first one to jump in and fight by their side?"

"Life can be tough, and the world can be cruel and relentless. So far as I can see, the point of marriage is to have a partner, a friend for the long journey ahead."

I can't imagine doing life without my husband. I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't have him. He gives me confidence to wake up each day and tackle life's challenges. He encourages me to be the absolute BEST version of myself, while forgiving me for my shortcomings. (As I read their books, I really want Austin and I to be another Chip and Joanna.) The reality is, we can't be, but we can be our own version of an example of a healthy, vibrant, God-driven marriage in a world filled with turmoil and selfishness.


No comments:

Post a Comment