Saturday, January 13, 2018

God is Able: My "It"

I love this woman. Priscilla Shirer. I've had the honor of hearing her speak live, watch War Room (life-altering, by the way), and now, I get to soak in her teachings once again.

And she doesn't mess around. It's straight to the heart, to the Truth, to "It."

She defines "It" as that thing that keeps us up at night. That we wrestle with God about. The thing that we just don't know what to do with, or if God will ever do something about it. And just like that, she calls us to name it.

I thought about that for a little while. What is my "It"? Fears about my kids' health definitely caused me to panic (I can't count how many times I've stood over a crib in the middle of the night). Nightmares about moral struggles of family and friends has surely kept me up at night. Crocodiles definitely could make the list (seriously). Decisions and perspectives about my career are big.

But really, when it comes down to it, I think my greatest fear is that I'll be seen as Not Enough. As a Fake. That people (and God) will realize that I don't always know what I'm talking about, that I'm not as put together as I try to pretend, that I make the same mistakes over and over. That I am Inadequate. And a lot of it is that I can't control everything.

I want to leave a legacy, make a powerful mark on the world, but in my heart, I fear that because I am imperfect and incompetent that I will somehow screw my opportunity up. Mess my kids up. That my coworkers will see right through me and see how incapable I feel. That I'm failing at this life.

But, oh, Priscilla. You speak it to my soul. Can God handle my failures? Can he salvage my brokenness? Can he handle and fix my "It"?

"Just because God can doesn't mean he will.
But just because He hasn't doesn't mean He won't.
The bottom line is that He is able. And because he is able, and because He is love, our hearts are completely secure in every situation, no matter how desperate or chronic or time sensitive."

"In fact, I'm more and more convinced that when He chooses to perform physical miracles in our lives--when He does what we consider supernatural and extraordinary--His chief intention even then is not to blow our minds, but to cause our hearts to become more inclined toward Him and aligned with His."

And then this:

Ephesians 3:20-21.
Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving us a "Cliff Notes" version of the book. The movie was life changing for me too. As I reflect back my fears were similar to yours when I was raising kids. Crocodiles were not on my list in Nebraska as much as snow, ice, drought and flooding.

    Now in my "second act" I have learned about the power of prayer, meditation and listening to the Holy Spirit who is my guide through the ups and downs in life.

    You are an awesome role model for many and building a legacy that is touching the lives of your students now and in the future. You will never be fake as long as you are looking at people through the eyes of Jesus!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU...Definitely working on all of this! (Thanks for reading my blog, MOM!)

      Delete