Monday, January 8, 2018

Capital Gaines: Purpose and Fear

It is rare to pick up a book and within moments of cracking the cover feel welcomed through and through by the author's invitation to the journey.

Of course, if you've ever watched Chip and Joanna Gaines for more than about 3.5 seconds, you already know that's the kind of people they are. But I'm a bit biased. I've watched every episode of Fixer Upper, visited Magnolia Market in Waco, bought a Magnolia hat, AND got tweeted at by Chip. I'm unashamedly enamored by this incredible couple who have built their lives through struggles, faith, and love. And now, God has given them an enormous platform to share their their perspective on life. What an incredible opportunity to make a meaningful impact! (See, I told you I'm obsessed.) 

Last fall, I read The Magnolia Story, their jointly-written tale of their lives. They share experiences from the times they were kids and the foundations of their families, to the early days of their relationship, to their highs and lows in business. Truly, they have worked their way from the ground up, living modestly--sometimes meagerly--but always striving to do the right thing and listen to the voice of God. One of my favorite meme's says, "In a world of Kardashians, be a Joanna." Will do. 

Chip's book, Capital Gaines: Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff, fully details why he is who he is. He's a full-steam ahead entrepreneur, eternal optimist, and seasoned trial-overcomer. While he may have had help from a team writing this book, it's still very much Chip: "You were uniquely created for a purpose...It's big, and it's important, and there's no one else anywhere on the planet who can fulfill it. So quit jacking around and go get after it." Chip isn't going on this journey alone. He wants each of us to reach our full potential; so get your muck boots and ball cap on and let's get going!

(The start of this book is SO MUCH like Raising an Original, but I suppose that both being Christ-following, big-family Texans might do that to you.) 

So far, here's what I've found very powerful: Mistakes and hardships happen to everyone. It's how we respond that makes all the difference. 

"I believe each life lesson and every opportunity is a building block on which future experiences are built...Every ounce of energy you invest in pursuing your goals will help you grow toward God's plan for you...even if you end up somewhere you hadn't counted on."

Maybe Austin planned on living life in Ash Grove, MO. But I certainly did not. And yet, here I am. One decision after another led me to this spot--as a teacher, entrepreneur, church nursery volunteer-- so dedicated to making a big difference in this small town. I used to be afraid of challenges, risks, and mistakes, but over the past few years, God has given me the confidence, not only in his purpose for my life, but in my God-given abilities to try new things, overcome obstacles, and take on roles that I didn't feel equipped for. But we don't make it very far without a few scary steps. As Chip says, "because we're not afraid to fail, fear has lost its power over us." 

No comments:

Post a Comment