Monday, December 9, 2013

Day 289: Being Young

1 Timothy 4; Isaiah 38-39; Psalm 119:121-144

Just because Timothy is young, doesn't mean he should be an insignificant part of God's plan to spread the gospel. Paul makes it clear that Timothy is valuable and can do so much good for the kingdom even with his young age. How does he do this? Well, it won't just happen, especially in a culture that values age and the wisdom that comes with many years. Timothy is instructed to set an example in love and faith and purity, to not be fooled by false teaching, and to continue reading scriptures and preaching. That is what excites me about being a part of a youth ministry. Some of these kids are daily reading scripture, opening their hearts in worship, and living with love and purity. I'm also encouraged by this because I'm not really that old, and yet, Paul's words challenge me to not discount my role in God's kingdom, but to set an example with my life and not let others look down on me.

Hezekiah's song of praise includes an interesting statement: "It was for my own good that I had such hard times. But your love protected me..." Perhaps Hezekiah realized that his sickness was to give him the opportunity to have greater faith in God, to challenge him to trust more completely. Later he makes a statement about how the negative message about the future from Isaiah is actually good. I'm a little confused by his statement, he sounds loopy. But maybe it was a sign of his trust in God. I know that I want to have the kind of faith that can see troubles coming and doesn't freak out; instead, I want to learn to simply be at peace, trusting in God's power and provisions to get through tough times.

The psalmist, it sounds like, is in the midst of troubles. And yet, he hangs on to God's promises and God's word to give him hope and assurance. He tells God that he believes God always does right, so just because of rough circumstances, he isn't going to abandon his faith. May we, too, have faith even through hard times and not just give up because we think believe in God makes us immune to troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment