Thursday, December 5, 2013

Day 286: Careful, Close, Instant

1 Timothy 1; Isaiah 31-33; Psalm 119:33-64

Paul tells Timothy to remind the people how to live and I think several things are very relevant to some religious movements and people today. One is to not get caught up in genealogies because people must be saved by faith not by who their relatives are. Another is the people need to have "genuine love, as well as a good conscience and true faith," not empty talk. And another is to remember God's mercy and Christ's patience that can save even the worst of sinners. What I get from this chapter is that people were getting caught up in stuff surrounding religion and faith, rather than getting caught up in their faith in Jesus itself. Genealogies and teaching about the Law are not a bad thing, unless they get in the way of grace and truth. The same is true for my life: hobbies, work, friendships, plans, etc., are not bad things, but if they get in the way of my faith in Jesus, if they "oppose God" and his teaching in some way, then they are bad.

Continued from the previous reading and again here in chapter 31, Isaiah's message from God is clear: depend on him and follow him and no one else. It talks about how the people flee to Egypt for help and safety. We are reminded that "Egyptians are mere humans. They aren't God." To depend on anything less than God is foolish because who or what can stand if God decides to act? This just encourages me to put more and more trust in God, to rest my faith and my future on him, because everything else is less secure, less stable, less powerful than The Lord.

Man, I love this psalm! A couple of verses stand out to me: "I pay careful attention as you lead me, and I follow closely. As soon as you command, I do what you say." Wow, cool. How close of attention? Careful. How closely should we follow? Closely. How soon should we obey God's command? Instantly. In my heart I want to follow God's teachings closely, but sometimes I get sidetracked by my own agenda or by wanting to stay in my comfort zone. But we should seek to follow God as intimately as we can and as immediately as we can.

Another scripture that stands out to me: "I choose as my friends everyone who worships you and follows your teachings." This is something that we talk a lot about at the youth ministry where we help out. Kids get excited about God at a revival, a camp, or service, but then they think they can live a devoted Christian life walking with people who want nothing to do with God. It isn't that we should avoid non-believers, but we need to surround ourselves with people who encourage us, share our faith, and help us to learn and be strong. Great psalm!

No comments:

Post a Comment