Friday, March 20, 2020

Psalm 51: Leave the Old Normal Behind

These days are a far cry from normal. And yet, I've heard many people say they look forward when things get back to "normal." But I don't know that I can agree with them, or want to agree with them. Yes, there were (are) some amazing people doing amazing things, and this whole corona virus isolation has put a lot of that on hold--but I'm not talking about those things. The day in and day out grind, the pettiness on Facebook, the #FirstWorldProbs that flood our lives, the busyness of activities, sports, on and on and on...

So far, I've spent a lot of time with the three amazing dudes in my house. We've gone on walks around our property, played board games, eaten EVERY meal together, sent LETTERS to cousins, cooked some great meals...it's been amazing. And challenging. But so GOOD.

I just chatted with my Sis-in-law about how this event will be a defining moment in this generation's history, for good or for bad.

Psalm 51 is so painful; a pleading with God to cleanse and purify, heal and restore. There's a desperation in the voice of the writer, and I think a lot of us resonate with it, at least from time to time. I also believe that it is incredibly relevant to this time we are living in: here we are isolated, desperate, stressed, pressured. Perhaps these words of the psalmist could be used, asking God to create in me a clean heart, and renew a steadfast spirit within me...

I've been challenged these last few days to think about what is really important, to create a new "normal." I've been asking God to restore to me the joy of [God's] salvation and sustain me with a willing [and joyful] spirit. In whatever circumstances we face, in our tiredness, our stretched out emotions, off-track thoughts, derailed life, we need a constant joy, a holy focus, and steady Redeemer that can remind us of what we are really on this Earth for: praise for our Creator, surrender to His work in us, and peace about his control over eternity.

Our attitudes and spirits need a solid dose of humility, and perhaps with this perspective we can open our hands to heaven and surrender to our Good God.

Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your loving kindness; 
According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgression.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.
...
Make me to hear joy and gladness, let the bones which You have broken rejoice.
...
O Lord, open my lips, that my mouth may declare Your praise.

What do these verses say to you? How do they resonate in your life right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment