Monday, March 23, 2020

Gazing

A few nights ago I found myself laying in bed, mentally rehearsing an imaginary conversation in my head, thinking about a couple of the horses who have issues, and overwhelmed by the problems of the world. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep.

I was glancing through my journal and came upon a powerful statement from the Proverbs 31 ministry podcast:

Glance at your problems, but gaze on Jesus.

I also had another note from the First 5 App that was similar:

Our faith is determined by our focus.

How often do we find that our minds are focused on all the stuff, all the chaos, all of the problems. It's just common sense: what we look at is what we see. If we constantly notice the mess, we miss a potential message. If all I'm looking at is my social media, the news, books about fantasy worlds, the muddy mess of my pastures, then of course things will look bleak and scary. The idea of "glancing" at our problems means we see the troubles, we aren't oblivious, but our vision doesn't stay there, our eyes move elsewhere.

Taste and SEE that the Lord is good. (Psalm 34:8)

I love that we live out in the country. Breathtaking sights are all around us. It reminds me of a God who pays attention to details and had the wisdom to create seasons, possesses the magnitude to place the stars, and the love for us to paint gorgeous sunsets every evening. If I have faith in the God who made this amazing world, then I can trust that he can control it. But will we notice? What are we looking at? Will we turn the focus of our heart to this omnipotent (all-powerful), omnipresent (all-present), omniscient (all-knowing) God. I can see that God has been faithful to me and my family in my lifetime. I can read the words of scripture and be encouraged by his promises of love, life, peace, and joy in all circumstances.

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us (those who have gone before us and lived by faith), let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, FIXING OUR EYES ON JESUS, the Author and Perfector of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:1-3)

No comments:

Post a Comment