Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Day 230: We are Sheep

John 10:1-21; 2 Chronicles 8; Psalm 73

The good shepherd knows his sheep and they know him. He leads them with his voice. He walks in front of them and the sheep follow. He gives up his life for the sheep. He gathers other sheep so that he can have one flock. Those who believe in Jesus actually know him, not just know of him. Believers trust Jesus and they recognize his voice, they understand his word, they see him in this world. True believers of Jesus will actually follow him wherever he leads, and will follow the example he has set. Jesus has given up his life for us and wants for his brothers and sisters in Christ to be united because of him, not divided for whatever reason. I love the metaphor of the shepherd and the sheep. Sheep are dumb. They are defenseless and completely helpless. They need the shepherd to survive, because without it, they will wander off into dangerous places or never find water. Our need for Jesus is the same. We can be so dumb. I am so weak on my own and completely helpless to save myself. Without Jesus, I will walk a path of sin and never be satisfied. The sheep are completely dependent on their shepherd for their life; I'm learning that I am and need to be completely dependent on Jesus for my life.

Another small side note about this story: Jesus' words divided people. Because they are so radical, so powerful, so contrary to our worldly expectations, his words cut deeply to the heart and ultimately cause division because people want to believe certain things and refuse to accept the truth that Jesus speaks.

Solomon was a builder. When he finished constructing one thing, he built something else. He did build himself a palace, but most of what he built was for God and for the people: the temple, walls for protection, towers for lookouts, larger cities for people. And in between all of this, Solomon followed the Law given to Moses exactly. He didn't put off his worship of The Lord until all of his projects were done, his kingdom was perfect, he had complete peace in his kingdom. Since all of it was for God anyway, his worship was a part of the building he was doing.

Psalm 73 is awesome. It is so real, so raw, so honest. The psalmist starts out saying how frustrated he is because the wicked, the evil, those who do not follow God, seem to be so successful. They prosper, don't have problems, and yet they are foolish and don't honor The Lord. He says that he was frustrated and angered by this. I've felt that too. How could such evil people rise to such power, fame, and wealth in this world, and a lot of times, cause hardships for others? It just doesn't seem fair or right. But as the psalmist seeks guidance and wisdom from The Lord, he realizes that God isn't ignoring those people. They will stumble and fall and not be picked up. God will punish them, they will be destroyed, and never remembered. Their reward was received here on earth, the short time they got to be alive. But the rest of eternity, they will have nothing but pain.

The psalmist goes on to say how he was once "stupid and ignorant" and he treated God like a wild animal would. I was like, "how's that?" Then I realized that a wild animal is not submissive to anyone or anything. They keep their distance and take and take for their survival. Sometimes people treat God that way. They do not submit to his good and perfect will. They keep their distance, scavenging only when they need something. God deserves our devotion, our submission. He wants us close, relying on him for all our needs. Several verses at the end are so powerful:
"Your advice has been my guide, and later you will welcome me in glory. In heaven I have only you, and on this earth you are all I want. My body and mind may fail, but you are my strength and my choice forever. Powerful Lord God, all who stay far from you will be lost, and you will destroy those who are unfaithful. It is good for me to be near you, I choose you as my protector, and I will tell about your wonderful deeds."

No comments:

Post a Comment