Monday, September 30, 2013

Day 229: Now I See

John 9:24-41; 2 Chronicles 7; Malachi 4

The story of the blind man who Jesus made see continues. What I love is that this guy isn't really that informed or intelligent. The Pharisees ask him a bunch of questions and he basically answers with "All I know is that I used to be blind, but now I can see." He may not have answers to who Jesus is how exactly he was healed, he just knows that a miracle was worked and that it must have come from God. Sometimes Christians think that we have to know a lot in order to witness to others. This man is proof that all he (and we) needed to know was how the supernatural healing power of Jesus worked in his (and our) life. Jesus condemns the Pharisees because they claim they can see, and yet they are blind to who Jesus really is. He came to give sight to the blind, but those that say they can already see don't need Jesus, people like the Pharisees. All I know is, I lived blindly for a long time until I started opening the Bible and reading scripture. I still don't get it all and never will, but my eyes have been opened by the healing power and incredible words of The Lord.

God warns Solomon of the people's choice. Humans can choose to obey God and he will be able to bless them. Or they can choose to reject God and he will leave them. It was their choice; it is our choice. God doesn't force himself on us, never did, never will. That why being obedient is tough; our sin nature wants to pull us away. What God tells Solomon is that if the people reject him, other nations will think that all of it was a joke.  Sometimes I look at the Christian church, especially in America and it does seem like a joke. How are we living, risking, and sacrificing for our Lord? The problem is, many are not. We can combat that with reading his word and filling up all the spaces in our hearts and minds with his love rather than sinful things. We can fight this by joining with other believers and keeping each other accountable for living worshipful obedient lives. We can better love God if we surrender all we have to him. That's what God wanted from his people during Solomon's time, and that is what he wants from us today.

From Malachi: "But for you that honor my name, victory will shine like the sun with healing in its rays, and you will jump around like calves at play." There is such hope in the word of The Lord and the name of Jesus. I keep reminding myself: it is so worth it. God's promises, like this one, are things that we can hang on to to help us through times of trial, struggle, or spiritual slump. God does love us and has victory for us. That's something to believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment