Thursday, September 26, 2013

Day 226: What God Says


John 8:21-47; 2 Chronicles 2:17-5:1; Malachi 1:1-2:9

In this passage where Jesus is addressing the people, there are a lot of very significant passages that explain the way of God. First, Jesus says "If you don't have faith in me for who I am, you will die and your sins will not be forgiven." We have to believe that Jesus is who he says he is, not some watered-down, made up, more agreeable version. Why do we need forgiveness of our sins? Jesus states that "anyone who sins is a slave of sin." So how to we become free from sin? It's not by trying hard enough, but only "if the Son gives you freedom, you are free!" And finally, the people are claiming that God is their Father, that they really are his children and Jesus says: "if God were your Father, you would love me, because I came from God and only from him." I've heard people say they believe in God but not in Jesus. Jesus is saying that that is not possible. How can a person believe in something, but believe that part of what they say is false. Essentially that's what these people are saying: I believe in a God who is partially a liar, because while he may be the Creator of the universe, he's lying about Jesus. Interesting stuff.

These first few verses of Malachi are pretty tough. Basically God is angry at the priests for offering less than the best to God. They were offering sick or injured animals for sacrifices, probably keeping the best for themselves. That's like me offering God my half-hearted praise, what's leftover of my money rather than the first, or serving in the easiest way possible rather than what God has called me to do. People that do not offer God their best or give their best to him and lead others to do so, God considers them basically false prophets. These people are leading others to do the same, and so God makes them despicable to everyone who does obey God. We need to make sure that we are following what The Lord truly says. How do we do that? Well, we have to know what he actually says by reading his word. I hope and pray that you and I will recognize just how deserving The Lord is of the best of our time, money, and talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment