Thursday, October 24, 2013

Day 250: Light

1 John 1; 2 Chronicles 34; Psalm 89:19-37

Wow, in case you were wondering if continuing in sin is okay: "Jesus told us that God is light and doesn't have any darkness in him....If we say that we share in life with God and keep on living in the dark, we are lying and are not living by the truth....If we say that we have not sinned, we make God a liar, and his message isn't in our hearts." This chapter in 1 John talks about God being life and light. It is not ok to claim to be a follower of Jesus, but not admit our sins and continue living with them. What is scary to me is that I know I am disobeying God in ways that I'm not even aware of, such as when I wasn't following Jesus by reading my Bible. Or when I talk about others thinking that I'm not gossiping, when really, that's exactly what it is. We need to seek life in Jesus and the light of God, not live in the darkness of our sin.

Josiah follows The Lord. He completely destroys all the pagan altars and idols in the nation and "when everybody was there he read aloud The Book of God's Law." He made a point to eliminate the idols and share God's message with everyone. He understood the power that God had and the fury he would feel at the disobedience of his people. Josiah did everything he could to right the wrongs of his ancestors and nation.

This part of the psalm talks about David's kingdom lasting forever. God's promise comes true because of Jesus. Jesus was a descendant of David and because of his resurrection, he will rule in heaven and on earth forever. God promises "I won't break my agreement or go back on my word." Such a wonderful reassurance!

No comments:

Post a Comment