Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day 144: Denominations and Eating


Romans 14; 1 Samuel 26; Psalm 69

"Why do you criticize other followers of The Lord?" Who, me? Well, I don't really, but... "Don't criticize them for having beliefs that are different from yours." Oh, ok.  My bad.  Unfortunately, denominations have been a part of Christianity for a long time, they were just not called that in Paul's day.  These verses very clearly emphasize that we are not to judge or criticize the other churches for their beliefs or practices.  The example he gives is if a church decides that they want to eat meat, or not, that is just fine; if the church decides to make one day more important, that's fine.  The thing that makes it fine is if it is done to honor God or give thanks to him.  It would be like an old-fashioned Baptist church (there are a lot around here) criticizing an Assemblies church (there are a lot around here) for using electric guitars and lights and smoke during their praise and worship music time.  As long as the electric guitar doesn't become the golden calf because the dude is rocking sick solos--God is cool with it.  (Did you catch that?  I'm hip.)  If a church decides to do something during their service, or with their congregation in order to truly honor or please God, then God will accept it.  If it isn't done for God's glory, God will take care of it.  Our job is to focus on loving, serving, and living for Christ.

This carries over into the next section that talks about food being fit to eat.  I apply this to worship.  It says, "The Lord Jesus has made it clear to me (Paul) that God considers all foods (forms of worship) fit to eat (do).  But if you think some foods (forms of worship) are unfit to eat (do) then for you they are not fit."  He goes on to say that if you are hurting someone else's faith because you are snarfing down your steak like a starving hyena in front of someone who prefers rabbit food, then you should switch to eating carrots when around them.  Again, if focusing this on worship, then if speaking in tongues, lifting hands, laying on the ground, light shows, are causing a person to struggle in their faith, then they should probably remove themselves or it should be limited as to not hurt a person's faith.

For me, (at this time in my life, anyway), raising my hands during worship distracts me.  I can't do it.  The whole time I'm standing there with my hands raised, I'm thinking "My hands are up. My hands are up. Why are my hands up?  Do they look funny? Should I put one down? etc." It's ridiculous, I know.  So instead, I don't, and I'm able to worship.  If someone else puts their hands up?  That's awesome for them!  If someone tells me to lift my hands--nope, not going to happen.  Because is hurts my attitude of worship, the "faith" that Paul writes about, I am not going to take part in it.  Our life in Christ is about loving others, serving them, and giving God glory. We are being selfish if we expect all people to worship, serve, or live like us.  God created each one of us differently and I don't think he expects us to act the same and so we need to be sensitive to that.  At the same time, North Point doesn't need to stop doing their music and lights the way it does because if it is a problem for someone, they can find another church that fits their tastes better.

This so flies in the face of the American attitude today: it's my business and I don't care what anybody thinks.  Yeah, actually God cares, and you should too.  Paul writes, "Don't let your appetite destroy someone Christ died for.  Don't let your right to eat bring shame to Christ." Again, the eating thing can apply to worship, living, serving, whatever.  We should not do something selfishly and expect others to just deal with it.  That's not the kind of attitude Christ displayed or expects.  We need to love others, and we do that by making sure we are not hurting, offending, or destroying another by our worship. Besides, "God's kingdom isn't about eating and drinking (or worshiping in certain ways). It is about pleasing God, about living in peace, and about true happiness."

Ok, I've got one more thought on this.  Paul tells us to not go against what feels wrong to us.  Because I can't put my hands up during worship, doesn't mean I need to force myself to do that.  If it feels uncomfortable and wrong for me, then it is.  Same goes for you.  God put you together in a certain way, to fulfill a certain role in the body of Christ.  What your soul tells you is right, is right.  What it tells you is wrong, is wrong.

David and Saul's story is one of not taking things into our own hands but allowing God to work and carry out justice.  David could have killed Saul, twice.  The world did and still would tell him to get revenge.  It would have been so easy and all of David's trouble would have been over, right?  Not so much.  God would have held David responsible and that's a big debt to pay to The Lord Almighty.  David respected God and so he didn't take it out on Saul, even when the opportunities presented themselves.  He was the "bigger person" as people like to say today.  That is what God wants of us, to be the "bigger person."  Let God deal with people like Saul.  We have enough to worry about in our own lives to also take up the burden of carrying out justice on others' lives.

The beginning of this psalm reveals to us that the world was a cruel place for followers of The Lord--and shocker, it still is!  But, this psalm also says that if we can praise God in our troubles, we will be a blessing and encouragement to them.  It also says that God will take care of evil-doers and will bless his people in his time.  If you are going through a rough time right now, if people seem to be attacking you for no reason, trust in The Lord to bring justice to them and prosperity to you.  He will do it when the time is right.  Hang in there and keep praising God.

No comments:

Post a Comment