Monday, June 16, 2014

Book Review: Make, Mature, Multiply

The last few months I've been coasting. I haven't spent much time in the Word in the last 7 1/2 months, partially because I've got a little munchkin vying for my time and energy. I love my little distraction, but finding time to study scripture has been hard. It's interesting though, that in a drought, the plants are the most thirsty. I was seeking something to read that would challenge me and was Bible driven. So along comes this book--Make, Mature, Multiply. 

The focus of this book, (rightly so,) is what our own Christian walk should be centered on: the gospel. Every chapter spoke to this theme, emphasizing how this life changing message should direct our lives. I'm not a huge fan of the movement called "street evangelism." It seems superficial and so unlike Jesus. And yet, how do I share the gospel in my day to day life? How can I "go and make disciples" if I am too afraid or timid to speak the name of Jesus, even to my friends?  In the first section, "Make," I was challenged in my perspective of evangelism. One chapter pointed out, "maybe that's our problem with evangelism. We don't tell the told gospel because we've lost sight of what it means to be forgiven" (21). Whoa, had I forgotten how much grace God has given me that it doesn't touch my heart and thoughts daily? When we realize just how merciful and gracious God has been in our lives daily, we should be moved to make him the topic of our conversation and the purpose behind our actions. As another author put candidly, "we are never exempt from the call on our lives to make much of him" (109).

In the second section of the book, "Mature," every chapter challenged a part of my Christian walk. How do we live more radically, more maturely, more devoted, to our God? These writers challenged my perception of myself and my identity. They spoke about the power of repentance and the necessity of obedience to Christ's teachings, how to pray more powerfully and purposefully, gratitude, humility, and doubt. Each and every day, I struggle with one or more of these things. Living for Christ is not easy, and these chapters presented powerful, biblical messages that are so encouraging.

And finally, in a person's quest to be a devoted follower of Christ, we are to "Multiply." I often struggle with the feeling of inadequacy. What do I have to offer people concerning being obedient to Christ? Who am I that I should mentor or write about Jesus? But isn't that the point? One of the final chapters focuses on who we are and how little we have, but that "our very hesitations are gospel opportunities....The gospel reminds us that we don't have to live a perfect life in order to engage in discipleship. Jesus lived the perfect life for us" (255-56). I can boast in my weaknesses because Jesus has all the more room to shine through them! What do we have to offer? Not much. How far from perfect are we? Pretty distant. I know I'm not perfect, I live in my head everyday, I've got typos in my blog, and don't say all that I should. But perhaps that just shows how much more amazing our God is. That he would choose us as his children and as his messengers of Jesus.

I'm thankful that this book fell in my lap this last month. I'm thankful that it focused on the real heart of the issue: the gospel. And I'm thankful that I'm still on this journey of faith, figuring more and more out daily, of who God is and what I can do to be obedient. I pray that you are in encouraged by some of these words and if you feel lead, check out the book, Make, Mature, Multiply. 


No comments:

Post a Comment