Thursday, February 6, 2014

Day 337: Getting In The Way

Colossians 2:20-3:17; Ezekiel 29-30; Isaiah 55

There are some really powerful ideas in Colossians 2 and 3. First, the forces of the universe do not have any control over us if we have been saved by Christ. We are free to live and do and work and serve as we choose. Paul goes on to ask why we should be bothered by rules made up by humans? He says that these things might make us look like we love God more, but they don't really do anything to help us. Instead we should simply try to be more like Jesus: gentle, kind, humble, meek, patient, forgiving, loving. We don't need to get worked up about stuff in life, but be filled with peace that only God can provide. So that makes me wonder, what humans rules am I trying to follow? What expectations do I feel like I have to live up to that are human designed, not God designed? When all that matters in my life is that I love God with all my heart and love others as myself, what else is getting in the way?

Jesus echoes the verses found in Isaiah: "If you are thirsty, come and drink water! If you don't have any money, come, eat what you want! Drink wine and milk without paying a cent. Why waste your money on what really isn't food? Why work hard for something that doesn't satisfy? Listen carefully to me, and you will enjoy the very best foods." I love these verses. I love the comparison of salvation and spiritual fulfilment to food and drink. Our souls are hungry, our lives are thirsty for the life and love that God offers. Nothing else, nothing we can buy or gain or find compares to the free gift of love and salvation God offers us. It's crazy that the God of the universe would provide the one thing we really need in life and death, at absolutely NO cost to ourselves. We don't have to do anything to earn it, we just have to accept it. Now, the cost was indeed great--Jesus' life and death--but how privileged we should feel, to be given the opportunity to own and carry the most valuable thing in the world that we paid nothing for. Thank you, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment