Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Day 278: Faith

1 Thessalonians 1; Isaiah 11-13; Psalm 112

I want to be like the church in Thessolonica! In this first chapter, Paul is so excited about them! His prayers are of thanksgiving for them, they followed Paul and Christ's example, were glad in their suffering, turned from their idols, and spread the message of Jesus everywhere! If there was a way to do this Christ-following thing right, I suppose this church was pretty close. I want my life to be like this too; that people are thankful they know me, I follow Jesus' example for living, I turn from my sins, and spread the gospel to everyone. These people were an example for others and I believe we should strive to do the same. People watch and follow you more than you think. May we believers be people who live like Jesus so that people know what kind of example to follow.

There is POWER in these three chapters in Isaiah. First, it talks about a peace for God's people that will be perfect. Not even animals will pursue one another. God's people will be gathered together in this place of complete love and tranquility. Then there is the song of praise that the Lord's followers will sing (something I've been wanting to memorize because it's awesome):

"I thank you, Lord! You were angry with me, but you stopped being angry and gave me comfort. I trust you to save me, Lord God, and I won't be afraid. My power and strength come from you, and you have saved me." With great joy, you people will get water from the well of victory. At that time you will say, "Our Lord, we are thankful and we worship only you. We will tell the nations how glorious you are and what you have done. Because of your wonderful deeds we will sing your praises everywhere on earth." Sing, people of Zion! Celebrate the greatness of the holy Lord of Israel. God is here to help you.

Then, a chapter of incredible destruction and victory over evil. When I think about how much pain is in this world, how many people are hurt by others, I long for the day when God will defeat those things.

There seems to be a recurring theme in these passages today: being remembered. This psalm talks about how God is going to abundantly bless his followers because they "gladly obey" his teaching, will "be remembered for their fairness," are a light in the dark for others, are "honest in business," and it goes on and on of qualities of these people. The part that I really like are the next couple of verses: "Bad news won't bother them; they have decided to trust The Lord. They are dependable and not afraid, and they will live to see their enemies defeated." They aren't scared. Why? Not because they are so awesome, are super spiritual, or have the whole Bible memorized. It is simply because they have DECIDED to trust God. They made a conscious choice to recognize that God is who he says he is and comes through in his promises of hope and provision, and so there is no reason to fear anything. WOW. What kind of trust that is! And these people are remembered for this kind of faith. So awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment